Dec 26, 2006

The dirty secret of Christmas.

Well, it’s been and gone another Christmas in the books. I had an entry a day or so back that just managed to float off into random bits as Safari went down with the entry unfinished and unsaved in a background tab. Maybe I’ll get back to it (probably not) if I can remember most of what I was trying to say.

Tonight as the family sat around the tree in the orgiastic frenzy of tearing open gifts, my cousin’s daughter spoke those nasty and sacrilegious words. She looked down at her Aunt‘s tree and took in the item sitting under it, still very much tightly wrapped in its plastic sheath and observed, “Oooo... that would make a good regift!”

Regift? Regift! REGIFT?!?!

Regifting is the act of taking a gift that has been received and giving it to somebody else in the guise of a new gift.

Finally, it was out in the open!

The fine art of regifting
Like Post (who is the granddaughter-in-law of etiquette czarina Emily), I have no qualms about regifting when done properly. Carried out carelessly, regifting is a recipe for public humiliation and long-held grudges. Done with finesse and tact, regifting can be a happy holiday experience for all — providing you follow these few do’s and don’ts. Starting with: DO take out the previous gift card. Duh.

So, this year I got a bunch of things I will probably regift, which is okay because it takes some pressure off me in other ways to go out and shop. I don’t know why but I got a bunch of food this year, big honking things with cheeses and dried sausage.

Truthfully though, it’s stuff I won’t eat so, it’s not like I can feel guilty about it. I never had a taste for the cured sausage thing and as time goes on I’m getting a lot more particular about what I put into my body. I have to be, high blood pressure and a lot of this really fatty, high nitrate stuff is a big time no-no for me. So, they’ll wind up being regifted. I’m ashamed to admit it because I know if it was coffee or chocolate I’d be greedily scarfing the stuff down - nothing like caffeine and sugar... yum, yum!

Call it tacky or call it rude, but the real name for this practice is regifting. Here are 5 tips in case you’re stuck with a recyclable gift this year...

It’s not any better for me than the fatty stuff or the sausage but since I pretty much stopped drinking and don’t smoke at all I figure I have to allow myself some guilty pleasures so, caffeine and sugar are it.

Hearing regifting mentioned openly made me feel less bad about regifting...

Before the holidays hit, let’s face facts: If one of the season’s joys is giving, then surely one of its hidden pleasures is “regifting.” Say you receive a gift — a nice gift, like a handsome travel clock — that you can’t use, don’t want or already own. You rewrap it and give it to someone else. You look generous. The recipient is appreciative. And your storage closet just got bigger. Mission accomplished.

Apparently it’s nothing new anyway and looking around I was able to find a bunch of interesting articles on the topic. I just can’t figure out why I get stuff like this (besides the fact I figure I am way too fat anyway and need to lose weight). Years ago (almost two decades now) when I was younger and didn’t know how to shop for people I was guilty of the ‘sausage’ gift pack – maybe it’s payback for those years I bought it for people.

I so much want to make it simpler for people anyway - a Starbucks card would be more than welcome.

Outside of the prospect of regifting though, I have to admit to being very happy and fortunate to be able to spend time with family. The more time passes, the more I appreciate those people who are family. The more I like them.

Just no more food, please. At least nothing though the mail.

No comments: